We love the Drakensberg Mountains so much that we’re taking the opportunity to use the Month of Love to appreciate the mountains and share just what it is that makes the Drakensberg so special.
If you and your loved one want to enjoy a romantic getaway to celebrate Valentine’s Day, you can visit the Drakensberg Mountains – you are guaranteed to love them as much as we do.
10 Reasons Why We’re in Love with the Drakensberg Mountains:
- The Drakensberg Mountain escarpment stretches over approximately 1000km’s and is situated an estimated 12000ft above sea level, giving you a majestic view that stretches for kilometres. Being this far above sea level means you get to enjoy entirely different scenery and diverse range of activities When you visit the Drakensberg Mountains, you’ll experience the mountains, grass, trees and beautiful nature scenes, as opposed to the conventional sand, salt and sea beach holiday. This makes for a refreshing change, and the perfect location for a romantic getaway.
- The highest peak, Thabana Ntlenyana, in the Drakensberg Mountains reaches 3,482m. That’s impressive and something to add to your bucket list.
- There are endless hiking trails available, making the Drakensberg Mountains a favourite for trail runners, cycling enthusiasts, and bird watchers.
- There is a wide variety of wildlife to observe. Animals that can be spotted include Reedbuck, Eland, Baboons, and a diverse array of bird life.
- The Northern, Central and Southern regions of the Drakensberg Mountains each has their own appeal, giving you plenty of entertainment and sites to explore.
- The Bushman paintings or rock arts are a site to see. Discovering the caves, eroded rock face, and overhangs, makes for a breathtaking activity.
- The uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park was listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 2000. Who would miss the opportunity to see one of the World’s Heritage Sites?
- If you take a drive through the Midlands Meander on route to the Drakensberg, there are plenty of arts, crafts and scenery to enjoy along the way. You can also collect a few souvenirs to remind you of your trip.
- The Drakensberg Mountain range is also home to the magnificent Tugela Falls, the second highest falls in the world. The breathtaking scenery is perfect for any romantic getaway!
- Last but not least as to why we love the Drakensberg, is the opportunity to sit back and relax with friends and family. A weekend away in the “berg” is a chance to take in the scenery and unwind from our daily lives.
For more information, contact Drakensberg Mountain Retreat and book your romantic getaway today.
You may also be interested in: