If you are visiting the Drakensberg, you will most certainly always be spoilt for choice on where to go and what to do! The activities available for both families and couples are endless in variety. The Drakensberg Mountain Retreat team thought we would help you narrow down your list of things to do in the Drakensberg. If time however, is not a limiting factor, why not try them all!
Excursions in the Northern Drakensberg
- Visit the historical Kerkenberg (This is the site where Piet Retief and the Voortrekkers camped out during the discussions with Dingaan for land)
- Pose for a photograph next to the Kaalvoet Vrou Monument
- Go horse riding at The Northern Horse Trails in Montusi
- If you are into adventure type sports, you will want to visit All Out Adventures
Excursions in the Central Drakensberg
- Spionkop Battle site and nature reserve is a great place to learn some South African history.
- Drakensberg Canopy Tours provides those adrenalin junkies with a bird’s eye view of the forest in an exhilarating zip line experience.
- If you are going to the Champagne Valley, you will need to visit the Raptor Centre and listen to the magnificent Drakensberg Boys Choir
- Hot Air Ballooning is becoming more and more popular and what better place to try it than overlooking the South African Drakensberg Mountains!
- The quaint town of Clarens is a charming village that offers art galleries, trendy restaurants and curio shops for the tourists that pass through and is only a one and a half hour drive from the Drakensberg Mountain Retreat.
- Golden Gate National Park (1 hour drive from us) is the South African National Parks (SANParks) system of parks which represents the indigenous fauna, flora, landscapes and associated cultural heritage of South Africa.
- Sentinel Peak, Mount-Aux-Sources chain ladder (top of Tugela Falls) is accessed through Witsieshoek (approx. 1.5 to 2 hours’ drive from us). The dome of Mont-aux-Sources is the source of five major rivers, including the Tugela, which plunges 948m over the escarpment in a breathtaking waterfall.
Please enquire about more activities or directions at reception whilst staying with us, alternatively, email us/ contact us.
You may also like to read any of the following;